Cotinus Dye Journey

Dye Pre history: 29 January 2013 Solar dye created with Cotinus coggygria and a small iron nail. Added pink silk and white cotton bundles containing honesty seed pods, aquilegia seeds and lupin seed pods.  Cotton fabric on top held under water with a cotinus twig. 2 February 2013 Bundles removed, inspected, and the silk returned…

Read More

Steam and Solar Dyes – New Zealand Plants

In this post I collect together the New Zealand plants I have recently used in steam and solar dyeing. Hebe species.  Steamed bundles Hebe flowers and leaves were laid out on opposite sides of two silk bundles, with hebe twigs for the core. After steaming the leaves produced yellow and the flowers a mix of blue…

Read More

Solar dyeing – Hypericum

For one of my first solar dyeing experiments, I used St Johns Wort, Hypericum, from the garden. My plant is one of the many varieties of Hypericum. On 6 January I placed the buds, leaves and flowers separately in three glass jars, filled with tap water (Oxford bore) and placed a weight on the top to…

Read More

(Mis)Adventures in Eucalyptus Eco Printing (2)

Testing eucalyptus on silk and cotton again. Last week I collected some more dried, fallen, eucalyptus leaves from the same tree as before.  You can see what beautiful colours these dried leaves have.  The green leaf on the left by the twig was a fresh leaf blown down by the recent north-west gales.  These leaves…

Read More

(Mis)Adventures with Eucalyptus eco prints

Plunging in with eucalyptus and silk. In early December 2012, I started to try using eucaplytus leaves on silk and cotton fabric.  I went down the road to where a gum tree planted by Mrs White in the late 19th century towers above all other trees.  I collected dried, fallen leaves and fresh-when-cut leaves; see…

Read More