As the main purpose for starting solar dyeing with plants was to find more organic colours that I could use on paper, I record here some of my recent paper experiments. This first one is on kozo (mulberry) paper, and coloured by a pomegranite skin solar dye. I squashed the folded paper into the jar, and really like the way the scrunched and twisted paper keeps its shape when dry. I am not sure where the dark marks came from.
I have also experimented with Knotweed – Persicaria. Knotweed grows in my veggie patch. There are two varieties – one smaller than the other. The smallest one, P. maculosa, has been used here. It seems simpler just to scan my test book pages! – here they are:
This is the page for Privet berries. They are poisonous, by the way. The colour has lasted well in the solar dye jars, and each brew is different. I have not achieved a blue which you can get with adding alum and salt. One source said the berries had to be ripe in order to do this. I collected two lots, the second one of which is this test. The berries were round and plump, seemed to be very ripe, but apparently, perhaps, not…
This next page is abut Viburnum tinus. I solar dyed the drupes which are a beautiful steely blue. It is interesting how the colours change according to type of paper or textile to which they are applied.