I have been trying to catch the autumn leaves before they all blow away! This post was started a few weeks ago, and I have published others before getting round to finishing this one.
The leaves have been used for eco prints on paper and cloth. I have been using lots of different mordants to soak paper and cotton – alum, washing soda, copper, tannin, gelatine and acorns, both alone and in different combinations.
Here is a collage of the the result on various pieces of cotton fabric, pre soaked for a few days in tannin, alum and washing soda and iron water. I added iron filings when I put the packages together – was a bit heavy handed – but which produced a beautiful result where they touched Cotinus coggygria leaves. Leaves used were acer, cotinus, oak, acacia both fresh and frozen, and iris and rose petals. The fabrics were folded or rolled and weighted down with ceramic tiles.
A wood block depicting a pin oak leaf was printed on to Pescia cotton 300 gsm printmaking paper which was later soaked with the cotton fabric. I rolled this paper and some of the fabric in layers around a wood core, using Phormium tenax or harakeke roots in the final layer of cotton. The same leaves were used as in the cotton bundles above, except with the addition of iron filings, vinegar and some Hypericum solar dye bath to which had been added salt and vinegar for a wool and thread dye experiment. My usual over-enthusiasm…
I managed to cram all of this into the steamer – there is a new, larger setup now.
The Pescia paper print, overprinted with cotinus and iron filings at the top and various other leaves below, follows.
The reverse of this Pescia paper roll – showing an iris petal and rose petals still attached.
The winter flowering iris plant that grows in the garden.
I was delighted with the result on this pre-used cotton poplin type fabric. A mixture of defined and watery images. The bias binding has taken up the colour extremely well. It is an unused, old roll and quite stiff, so I wonder if it is starched.
Here is another view. The rusty red came from a pink rose petal.
Another view of the blue-black colour created by the iron filings.